Saturday, October 19, 2013

Return Home to Live Them

This post will briefly discuss three talks in general conference that had a great impact upon me. I will share the quote and my reflections on the quote. 

It has been two weeks since we had the privilege of listening to modern-day apostles and prophets. The following is a 30 second highlight video from Elder Robert D Hales and prompted the title of this blog post.


I love the quote at the end of this clip... "We gather to hear the words of the Lord and we return to our homes to live them." Allow me to share some of my favorite quotes from conference and some of my impressions surrounding them.


"Often as we teach and testify about the law of tithing, we emphasize the immediate, dramatic, and readily recognizable temporal blessings that we receive. And sure such blessings do occur. Yet some of the diverse blessings we obtain as we are obedient to this commandment are significant but subtle."


This is one of those talks which I will have printed and ready to use often in my office. There are many who believe that just because they aren't receiving the temporal blessings they were expecting by being obedient to the law of tithing, that the law of the tithing isn't real and the promised blessings aren't real either. I love how eloquently Elder Bednar explained the different types of blessings that can come into our lives as we are obedient to the law of tithing. They are not just temporal blessings, but spiritual ones as well and the spiritual blessings may be more important to us than the temporal ones.


"Whatever your struggle, my brothers and sisters—mental or emotional or physical or otherwise—do not vote against the preciousness of life by ending it! Trust in God. Hold on in His love. Know that one day the dawn will break brightly and all shadows of mortality will flee... Broken minds can be healed just the way broken bones and broken hearts are healed. While God is at work making those repairs, the rest of us can help by being merciful, nonjudgmental, and kind."


I'm forever grateful for this message shared by Elder Holland. Until serving as bishop, I had no idea how very real depression is and how it can torment those caught within it's awful grasp. I've prayed several times to have a resource I can use to help those who struggle with depression. Of course, I can send them to professional help, but I wanted to be able to give them spiritual guidance. I love the counsel Elder Holland gives in this address and will use it often! I also love what all of us can do to help those who are struggling. We can help "by being merciful, nonjudgmental, and kind."

“The question posed by the second commandment is ‘What is our ultimate priority?’ Are we serving priorities or gods ahead of the God we profess to worship? Have we forgotten to follow the Savior who taught that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments? (see John 14:15). If so, our priorities have been turned upside down by the spiritual apathy and undisciplined appetites so common in our day.”






While watching general conference, I have never been struck harder with a question posed than the one posed by Elder Oaks. "Are we serving priorities or gods ahead of the God we profess to worship?" I sat on this question for several minutes and had to go back and reread Elder Oaks talk because I couldn't focus on anything else but this question. I began to think of some of the priorities I've let interrupt the ultimate priority I should have. Whether it be sleep, career aspirations, sports, or other "things"... have I let these priorities take precedence over the God I profess to worship? I had to sit and contemplate some of the major changes I needed to make in my life so that this didn't happen. After taking inventory of my own life, I began to think of those who needed to hear this quote; individuals who have let the worldly appetites cause spiritual apathy in their lives. What a great reminder of the importance of the second commandment in our day. I believe that many of us put other "gods" before Him.


I'll end this post with the reason I've started this blog in the first place. My hope is that "our understanding of God's plan and His doctrine gives us an eternal perspective."


No comments:

Post a Comment